Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Morning Confessional - Ugly Sweaters and Sushi

I have something to confess. For the last 8 years or so I have only been going to church on Christmas for one reason: to continue the tradition of the ugly sweater contest.

This is a game I play with myself by giving each one I see a ranking in my head. Every now and then I whisper out loud,"we have a winner". Over the years it had grown more complex, with a womens' division, mens' division, childrens' division, elderly division, and best of show. During the sermon I imagine the finalists jogging in a circle, like a dog show. Then, striking their best pose, and I go and pin a giant blue ribbon on the winner. It keeps me from going crazy from listening to each one of the pastor's daughters sing their own version of Silent Night.

But, last year there was a break in tradition, perhaps a new tradition was born. My mom was sick and stayed home so she didn't get everyone else sick, and my dad stayed with her because it was the perfect excuse for him to get out if it. So, it was just my brother and I driving down to my aunt's house. They told us to leave in time to get there by noon so we could all go to church together.

And we did, but we decided to take the 3 hour drive nice and slow. Our plan was to tell them that traffic was really bad and we just couldn't make it in time for church. But, for some reason, even when I have time to kill, I just can't help but to try and make good time. We ended up getting into town early, not late, or even on time. So, what do you do when you have 45 minuted to kill in San Diego?

That was easy, I knew my way around town, so we went to Sushi first at my favorite place. Then, we went walking around the antique stores looking for treasures and just goofing around. And just to be sure we had killed enough time we checked out this awesome reptile store.

New Christmas tradition? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment